Looking into the Dry Eyes
Eyes are your window to this beautiful charming world, perhaps the sensitive most part of your body. Should you not be more sensitive in caring for this gifted “camera”? You must be, in my opinion.
Dry eyes are a critical issue as not being fully curable all the time but can be managed to a comfortable level with a little care. The following are some proven tricks practiced and approved by the doctors.
Many things can be tried at home without going to the doctor and believe me, it works sometimes even beyond one’s expectations.
- When using a computer, smartphone, studying, and watching TV you often feel increased dryness. Give blinking a try and blink it fast. A relief is for sure.
- Take breaks when you study, read, write, and watch TV, etc. Just have little intervals of your own, without waiting for the intervals caused by external reasons.
- Remove eye makeup carefully and thoroughly that close openings of the meibomian glands at the base of eyelashes.
- Limit your exposure to blowing like facing fan, hairdryer, and going out in windy outdoors.
- Indoor heating in winter cause dryness. It necessitates the use of a humidifier to ensure moisture in the air. Just putting a pan of water near the heater can work well.
- Give your eyes a little rest, as these are important than watching all similar prime time “same as yesterday” stuff.
- Warm compresses (a garm takore) suggested a 108 F degree for 10 minutes twice a day can be a big relief to your dry eyes.
Some other medical treatments can be tried as under:-
In routine cases resulting from computer use, prolonged study hours, watching TV, etc., the use of artificial tears, eye lubricants, drops can help keeping freshness and humidified eyes.
A stage next suggestion by a doctor can be RESTASIS (Allergen). This sort of eye drops includes an agent known to reduce inflammation. Minimum use of 90 days is recommended.
Steroid Eye Drops
Studies show that dry eyes usually cause inflammation that initiates irritation and burning. This type of trouble can be overcome by using specific eye drops called Steroid eye drops. There are many in the market but you must use under doctor’s recommendation alone.
It is a small, sterilized device to be inserted in a small opening of tear drainage ducts (puncta), in the inner corner of upper and lower eyelids. It stops draining of tears fast and helps them stay on the surface of the eye-soothing eye dryness.
Studies show that supplements containing omega-3 fatty acids are helpful in curing dry eyes. It can be found in cold-water fish, flaxseed oil, and some other common food items. Drinking more water helps you avoiding dehydration that is much helpful to reduce eye dryness.
But if all above is not proving right in your case than please don’t waste time to consult your doctor. May you be needing some surgical treatment which must be taken immediately if your consultant thinks so.